Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Valentine's Day Article - February 2009

In just over a month, I will have been married for ten years. How is that even possible? Time flies sometimes, at other times it crawls. I love being married. I love my husband. I’m glad we found each other half way around the world from our own countries. We’ve been through a lot together. Less than some, truth be told, but it’s all relative.

Colin and I are best friends. We know each other so well - we have our own language, we have a shared history of experiences, jokes, music and ministry. Sometimes I think we know each other too well. We are so incredibly comfortable with each other. We definitely have to work at the whole “spark” thing. We can get caught up in the day to day stuff - jobs, kids, house and lose sight of each other, the reasons we got into this together.

I had some pretty high expectations when I got married, so did Colin. We’ve exceeded some of those expectations and we’ve also disappointed each other. It’s not always been a smooth road, there have been fights, tears, ultimatums and cruel words said in anger.

But you know what, we’re still together and we’re going to stay together. Some things have been non-negotiables. We are completely committed to each other - we’re in this for the long haul. My parents always said that if you’re going to stay with someone, why be miserable - be nice to each other and work at it.

We are also determined to communicate with each other. This isn’t always easy - Colin does his best communicating when we’ve gone to bed, I do my best sleeping when we’ve gone to bed! So there have been long nights, but we’ve always said what’s on our minds and hearts eventually and it’s always good - our relationship always deepens when we’ve talked through an “issue”.

Now, I don’t want you to think that it’s all drama and “working through the issues”. We love each other deeply and ”shallowly” (if you know what I mean). I’m thrilled that I get to share my life with this amazing, smart, talented, fun man. He’s an amazing Dad to my son - that’s thrilled me so much.

I’m looking forward to the excuse that Valentine’s Day gives me to tell him all these things that I’ve already shared with you. Not with expensive gifts, but with the words of my heart.

How are you going to show your appreciation to those you love on Valentine's Day?


No comments: