Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lessons from a Little Gardener

I asked Jude today what was his favorite thing about gardening. His most favorite thing is watering. His second and third favorite things were raking and digging. I sort of had to remind him about the actual fruits (or, in our case, vegetables, of our labors). Then, of course, he listed the vegetables that he likes most from our garden.

It was interesting for me to hear his thoughts on gardening. I often get so focused on the end result of things, that I forget to enjoy the process. I think that’s something that we can learn from children. They are so “in the moment” and intent on the “doing” rather than what they are going to get out of. For Jude, gardening is worth it, just because he gets to go to the tap, fill up the watering can, carry it to the plant boxes and water them everyday. To me, that’s just another chore to be done so that eventually we’ll have some flowers to look at and vegetables to eat from the garden.

How many times in my life do I rush through the process trying to achieve a result and miss out on the moments that the process gives to me? Whether it’s physical exercise, preparing a meal, teaching my children or going on a journey, too often I rush through the things that I have to do in order to get the desired result as quickly as possible without realizing what a gift the journey is. Feeling my body growing strong with each step, the air moving in and out of my lungs. Seeing the textures and colors come together in a meal, smelling the aromas. Seeing Jude’s eyes light up as he learns a new concept or even when he starts goofing off and making himself giggle. Taking time to look around rather than getting somewhere as quickly as I can.

So from a simple conversation with Jude, he’s taught me that I need to slow down and enjoy the process. Sure we can celebrate the harvest of the garden, the beauty of the flowers, but we can also enjoy the rush of water into a can, the cool drops hitting our feet in the hot sun and the simple joy of pouring water into dirt. Thanks Jude!

No comments: