Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mommy, Look At Me

So we went to the park the other day and I sat with Zane while he napped. Jude and Colin ran around on all the play equipment. Colin was pushing Jude on the swing, going higher and faster. Jude looked at me and said, “Look at me, Mommy!”

He’s saying that a lot more lately, but in that moment, when he was swinging and he so desperately wanted me to look at what he was doing, it really hit me.

There’s a lot wrapped up in that statement from a child to a parent. When Jude asks me to look at him, at what he’s doing, he’s making a statement about my importance in his life. He wants my validation for his activities, for who he is. He also wants to make sure that I approve, that I think he’s going to be safe and ok. He wants me to join him in that moment so that we can share it together. We can remember those times together.

He also saying that he’s growing more independent and doesn't need me in the same ways that he used to. When he’s climbed to the top of a play structure by himself and stands there a bit shaky, but so proud and yells, “Look at me, Mommy!”, he’s saying that he’s taking more chances and doing things without me. I know that will happen more and more, but for now, he still wants to include me in that adventure, even if it’s from a distance. I may want to run over and rescue him, to keep him safe, but it’s my job to smile and say, “I see you and I am so excited for your adventure!”

It’s not just a child’s nature to share our triumph’s and adventures. When I’ve achieved something - made a great meal, told a good joke, conquered a fear - I want to share that with someone. I want to yell, “Look at me!” Maybe that’s why I like Facebook and Twitter so much. It’s also why I call my Mom, my Dad, my Sister, my Colin when something cool happens - I want to share that moment. That’s how we are created. We are made to share life with others - our triumphs & tragedies.

So smile & wave when they say, “Look at me, Mommy!” and don’t forget to say “Look at me!” sometimes too!

No comments: