Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Am I Weird?

So, I tidy Jude's play pen. It's not just that I put toys away, I actually put things in alphabetical and numerical order. I don't think I obssess about it though - it just gets to me when it's been chaotic for a while - I think that Jude won't be able to find his toys and won't have fun if it's all a mess. Of course, he seeks to destroy all neat stacks as soon as I make them. But that's the fun of it I suppose. Is it co-dependent that I like to tidy and that Jude is a little chaos-maker?

Before

After

All the Little Penguins Lined Up in Numerical Order

In other news, we've decided to officially mark March 17, 2008, St Patrick's Day, as the day Jude spoke his first word. Here's the scenario: Colin had Jude on teh changing table and Jude was babbling away, mostly saying "bah, bah, bah" and then I walked up beside him, he looked right at me and said "mama". It was amazing. Sigh...

1 comment:

Lamppostings said...

From Facebook:
Looks like you have your ducks in a row! (or penguins, same difference) Chris

Wow. Isn't That The Best Feeling, When Your Child Says His/Her First Word. And For It To Be "Mama"...Oh Man, Life Is Good.

Btw, I Don't Think It's Weird That You Like To Have Jude's Toys Organized. I'm Not OCD By Any Means But My Friends Think It's Weird That I Alphabetize My CD's And DVD's. I Don't Care If They're Not, But I Like To Have Them That Way. I Also Like To Keep Kristen's Toys Organized And Sorted, Though It's Only Temporary Because When She Gets Into Them It's Chaos Again. - I Say We're Not Weird, Just More Organized Than The Average Folk. :) Steve

Melissa, I'm fully with you on this subject. I nanny 21 month old twins (boy/girl) and I like putting things away in an orderly fashion. We for sure tear it all apart, but at the end of the day, their space is rockin' it ordered-style. It also helps them learn how to put things in order and clean up after themselves. So, being a little less unkempt = smarter and better character. Woot! Lorelei

Is this why the first child is usually a little OCD ? Maybe not in your case...
I'm sure Angelina's story touched a chord with you today (nice to know you're not the only one organizing books by the Dewey Decimal System). As long as you let him have fun with the toys, I don't think it matters. :)
Congrats on the first word, mama! It is a milestone! Tori

# 5 penguin is a touch off center. Tim