Thursday, April 17, 2008

Fear Not

Fear Not

Psalm 34:4-7
4 I sought the LORD, and He heard me,
And delivered me from all my fears.
5 They looked to Him and were radiant,
And their faces were not ashamed.
6 This poor man cried out, and the LORD heard him,
And saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the LORD encamps all around those who fear Him,
And delivers them.

There are two kinds of fear that David is talking about here. Fear that will imprison, keep me paralyzed, and fear that will set me free. There is a lot to fear in this world, a long list comes readily to mind. It’s easy to dwell on the fear, on the causes for that fear. Fear will lull me to inactivity, to apathy.

The other fear that David is talking about is fear of the Lord. It is right to fear Him – all-powerful, all-knowing, all-perfect, all-just. Thankfully He is also all-good, all-loving and full of grace.

So what does this mean for me? I am a worrier. Not funny, funny, ha ha, little worry wart, but lie awake at night, feel sick, obsessive worry. I am fearful about many things which sometimes surprises people to hear about me because I’ve done a lot of adventurous things in my life, but in many ways I don’t have a lot of fear for myself. I worry mostly about those that I love. Anyway, I don’t think that being delivered from all my fears is a one-off deal, I think it’s a process. I believe that God delivers people from their fears – fears greater and smaller than mine, and indeed, my own fears. I have a part to play though – I need to seek the Lord, and, I confess, that I often look everywhere else before I look to Him for relief from my fears. I know that when He delivers me, that I am radiant with freedom and grace. I know that fear has its place, I need to put my fear in God. Not the trembling, aching, paralyzing fear, but the freeing, joyful fear of the One who knows all, can do all and Who loves me anyway.

Father, I am often afraid – you know how afraid. Forgive me for trying to find solutions everywhere but in You. I ask that You would deliver me from my fears. I am thankful that You are well able to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.